[Openstack] Understanding networking.

tudor tudor at tudorholton.com
Thu Jan 2 06:07:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to get a simple one-layer network of nodes
integrated with an already-existing network, but I'm having some access
issues. I've chosen to use a Neutron VLAN network so that I don't have
to have a separate GRE<-->VLAN gateway.

On this physical network I
have:

- 1 gateway with no DHCP
- My desktop
- A Fuel Server
- A
Controller Node (with 4 network interfaces)
- A Compute Node (with 4
network interfaces)

Here's a simple network diagram:

Gateway___Switch________(Public) Controller

 _______(Admin) "

______(Public) Compute

 _____(Admin) "

 ____My Desktop

 ___Fuel
Server (PXE, DHCP)

 Switch________(Private) Controller

_______(Private) Compute

 Switch________(Storage, Management)
Controller

 _______(Storage, Management) Compute

If I want my
instances to be accessible to other machines on the VLAN, what overlaps
in terms of ranges. Is it the "Public" address range, the "Floating IP"
address range, both, or something else?

It seems that if I connect the
instance to the "Public" network, it's assigned an IP according to
Horizon, but there's no DHCP on the network so it doesn't get assigned
that IP.

If I assign an instance the IP given by Horizon (ip a a
<ipaddr> dev eth0) then I can ping/access the rest of the same network.

Here are my Neutron settings:

Physical network 192.168.40.0/24

Fuel server: 10.20.0.2/24 DHCP: 10.20.0.3-254

Neutron
settings:
Public: 192.168.40.100-149/24 Gateway: 192.168.40.252

Management: 192.168.0.0/24 VLAN:100
Storage: 192.168.1.0/24 VLAN:101

L2: VLAN ID range: 1000-1030

External:
L3: Floating IP:
192.168.40.150-199

Internal:
CIDR: 192.168.111.0/24 Gateway:
192.168.111.1

Example instances:

Internal Network + Floating IP:

192.168.111.3
192.168.40.151

Result: No access in either direction.

External Network only:

192.168.40.161 (Huh?? I specified the range
100-149??)

Result: Horizon lists IP as 161, but IP is not in instance.
If I ip a a 192.168.40.161 dev eth0, then the instance can access my
desktop and the gateway, but I can't ping or access the instance from my
desktop.

I'm not understanding something *really* simple here, and
I've been over the documentation so many times. What should overlap and
what shouldn't? Or is it that my PXE and Public interfaces are
physically connected that's causing the problem?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Tudor.