[Openstack] Image Network+SWAP

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 27 23:01:45 UTC 2014

On 02/27/2014 03:28 PM, Georgios Dimitrakakis wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I 've created a CentOS image using the guide here:
> http://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/content/centos-image.html
>
> I have succesfully booted the image in OpenStack and created a new VM.
>
> My problem is that the swap indicated in horizon at the flavor that I am
> using for the VM is not corresponds in the swap at the VM. No matter
> whatever I put it always has 2GB.
>
> Any ideas?

Several, but in a nutshell this part of the guide: "we recommend you use
the installer's default partition scheme, since there is no clear
advantage to one scheme or another" is wrong.

Don't let the installer partition the disk for you, make one /
partition, no swap. After the install add to the end of
/etc/rc.d/rc.local (watch out for wordwrap):

blkid | grep 'TYPE="swap"'
if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    dev=`blkid | grep 'TYPE="swap"' | awk '{print $1;}' | sed -r 's/:$//'`
    if [ -n "$dev" ] ; then
        mkswap $dev
        swapon $dev
    fi