[Openstack] Openstack Havana - cinder multibackend

Swapnil Kulkarni swapnilkulkarni2608 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 18:08:04 UTC 2014

Did you follow steps similar to [1], if yes you should be able to see the
backends listed as types in horizon dashboard, just select type while you
create and you can create volumes specifying volume type in cinder create
CLI.

k$ cinder help create
usage: cinder create [--snapshot-id <snapshot-id>]
                     [--source-volid <source-volid>] [--image-id <image-id>]
                     [--display-name <display-name>]
                     [--display-description <display-description>]
                     [--volume-type <volume-type>]
                     [--availability-zone <availability-zone>]
                     [--metadata [<key=value> [<key=value> ...]]]
                     <size>

Add a new volume.

Positional arguments:
  <size>                Size of volume in GB

Optional arguments:
  --snapshot-id <snapshot-id>
                        Create volume from snapshot id (Optional,
                        Default=None)
  --source-volid <source-volid>
                        Create volume from volume id (Optional,
Default=None)
  --image-id <image-id>
                        Create volume from image id (Optional, Default=None)
  --display-name <display-name>
                        Volume name (Optional, Default=None)
  --display-description <display-description>
                        Volume description (Optional, Default=None)
  *--volume-type <volume-type>*
*                        Volume type (Optional, Default=None)*
  --availability-zone <availability-zone>
                        Availability zone for volume (Optional,
Default=None)
  --metadata [<key=value> [<key=value> ...]]
                        Metadata key=value pairs (Optional, Default=None)

Also verify the volume types created with *cinder type-list*

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/content//multi_backend.html

Best Regards,
Swapnil Kulkarni
irc : coolsvap