[Openstack] [Nova] KVM Windows Guest disk hot plugging support.

Zuo Changqian dummyhacker85 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 07:48:55 UTC 2014

By the way, it's Havana release.

We first found this problem in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS guest, after loading
"acpiphp" kernel module at instance boot time, the problem solved.

Then we tested using CentOS 6.x guest, it seems the code of "acpiphp"
module has been integrated into Linux kernel at compilation time. Nothing
needs to been done, it just works very well. You can freely attach and
detach volumes when instance is running.

But this does not work for Windows guest, you can attach volumes, and you
can detach, but it seems still some information of disk remain in Windows
guest, and you can not attach a second time.

A reboot do cleanup those remained infomation, and we know this. I am
wondering if this attach/detach can be all done when Windows guest is
running, just like it is done in Linux guest.