[Openstack] [Neutron] DHCP failing on instance reboot

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Tue Feb 25 18:02:07 UTC 2014

Hi All,

Using Havana Neutron on Ubuntu 12.04 with OVS provider VLAN networks,
instances are failing to get DHCP reponse on reboot.  This seems to be
a new issue, I believe this had been working before.

New instances get DHCP fine, but on hard or soft reboot instances can
go >24hr without getting DHCP response I did see one instance come
back with a first successful response after 24hr.

Rebuilding an instance on the same physical host the rebuilt instance
gets DHCP immediately as a new instance would.

Not 100% certain but it seems the DHCP requests from rebooted systems
make it as far as br-eth1-phy veth device on the br-eth1 vswitch but
never make it to the physical eth1 interface.

Help?
-Jon