[Openstack] Fwd: [TROVE] Manual Installation: problems with trove-manage

Giuseppe Galeota giuseppegaleota at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 17:09:04 UTC 2014

Hi Michael, Hi all,
I'm using this unique guide: "
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/trove/dev/manual_install.html".

If you can give me an useful guide, I would be grateful!

>> 1) Which user do I need use in order to install TROVE, root user or a
>> non-root user?

   >Installation should be the same as other projects in OpenStack. If its
   >not, we definitely have issues :)

          OK

>> 2)  Why is it necessary to run a virtual environment (virtualenv)? Is it
>> the right way in order to realize a production Openstack environment?

      >? I have helped a few companies install trove, and i have _never_
run in
      >a venv. Not saying you should/shouldnt, im just saying its not
      >necessary. Im not sure where you got that.

            OK

>> 3) When I run the command:
>>
>> (env)root at hostname:~#trove-manage
>> --config-file=/root/trove/etc/trove/trove.conf.sample db_wipe
>> trove_test.sqlite mysql fake
>>
>> I obtain this output:
>>
>> (env)root at hostname:~# trove-manage
>> --config-file=/root/trove/etc/trove/trove.conf.sample db_wipe
>> trove_test.sqlite mysql fake
>> usage: trove-manage [-h] [--config-dir DIR] [--config-file PATH]
[--debug]
>>                     [--log-config-append PATH] [--log-date-format
>> DATE_FORMAT]
>>                     [--log-dir LOG_DIR] [--log-file PATH]
>>                     [--log-format FORMAT] [--nodebug] [--nouse-syslog]
>>                     [--noverbose] [--syslog-log-facility
>> SYSLOG_LOG_FACILITY]
>>                     [--use-syslog] [--verbose] [--version]

{db_sync,db_upgrade,db_downgrade,datastore_update,datastore_version_update,db_wipe}
>> trove-manage: error: unrecognized arguments: mysql fake

  >Looks like you hit a bug :) Im not sure if anyone has run that via trove
    >manage before!!

         I have followed this unique guide (
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/trove/dev/manual_install.html), and
precisely this instructions:

   -

   Initialize the database:

   # trove-manage --config-file=<PathToTroveConf> db_wipe
trove_test.sqlite mysql fake

              where --config-file=/root/trove/etc/trove/trove.conf.sample

                So:
                         a) How should I inizialize the trove's database?

                         b) Why the config files are under the
/root/trove/etc insted of /etc/trove/  ?

           However, if I run that command without *mysql fake*:

            (env)root at hostname:~#
trove-manage --config-file=/root/trove/etc/trove/trove.conf.sample
db_wipe trove_test.sqlite

           it seems to work. In the trove's database, infact, I can see a
lot of tables.

>> Furthermore, I obtain the "trove-manage: error: unrecognized
arguments: image_update
>> when I run the command:
>>
>> (env)root at hostname:~#
trove-manage --config-file=/root/trove/etc/trove/trove.conf.sample
image_update mysql `nova --os-username trove --os-password trove
--os-tenant->>name trove --os-auth-url http://<KeystoneIp>:5000/v2.0
image-list | awk '/trove-image/ {print $2}'`

      >I dont see image_update in the list of commands above. Im not sure
where
      >you got image_update from, but i dont see it in the current
trove-manage
      >code. If you got that from a wiki article, its crazy wrong!!

        I have got image_update from the guide
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/trove/dev/manual_install.html , ed in
particular from the section:

   -

   Setup trove to use the uploaded image. Enter the following in a single
   line, note quotes (') and backquotes(`):

   # trove-manage
--config-file=/root/trove/etc/trove/trove.conf.sample image_update
mysql     `nova --os-username trove --os-password trove
--os-tenant-name trove --os-auth-url http://<KeystoneIp>:5000/v2.0
image-list | awk '/trove-image/ {print $2}'`

  >If u want synchronous help, find us in #openstack-trove.

      I will do it.

Can you help me with a more useful guide that makes trove working?

Thank you very much!
Giuseppe