[Openstack] Fwd: Error while booting VM

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 14:18:27 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 7:55 AM
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Error while booting VM
To: "Narayanan, Krishnaprasad" <narayana at uni-mainz.de>

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 7:19 AM, Narayanan, Krishnaprasad <
narayana at uni-mainz.de> wrote:

>  Hallo all,
>

> Can I seek help for the problem described below?
>

> I have a VM running Ubuntu 12.04 in my OpenStack cloud and when it boots,
> I get an error message that says "Error: invalid magic number, error: You
> need to load the kernel first. Press any key to continue".

Was the host also rebooted or just the instance?   The last time I
attempted to do the first (Grizzly not Havana) it turned out to be
*IMPOSSIBLE* (after 6 weeks of writing handwritten scripts for setting the
stack up [eventually replicating devstack])... it is important to know one
of the design assumptions built into openstack is that it is running in a
data center which has such amenities as guaranteed power [the host will
never be forced to reboot]... as a result of this the default disk cache
mode used on most hypervisiors is known to provide good performance but at
the cost of being protected against a power failure... so odds are the
instance got "munched" by a incomplete write to the physical disk before
the "power" went out on reboot... if you did not reboot the host ignore the
above

Note that if your face frequent such reboots due to the host needing to be
powered cycled it might make sense to look into a 100% free open source
(and open knowledge) tool such as PetiteCloud which is designed to insulate
openstack as much as possible from the fact it does not have guaranteed
power and add other stability and robustness functionality.   PetiteCloud
is currently only designed for very small clouds (no more then 5 to 10
hosts).