[Openstack] Upgrade from Havana 2013.2 to 2013.2.1 resulted in "IncompatibleObjectVersion: Version 1.9 of Instance is not supported"

Mike Smith mismith at overstock.com
Thu Feb 6 00:09:27 UTC 2014

Hi all -

I’m hoping to gain some better understanding of the error I’m receiving after a minor Havana upgrade.

I recently updated the first of my Centos 6.5 compute nodes from the original Havana release to the first Havana maintenance release.   After upgrading this node, I attempted to migrate VM’s back onto it and received the following:

2014-02-05 16:10:59.797 3165 ERROR nova.openstack.common.rpc.common [req-789d265a-fdc0-43ca-83e8-42a0d4ebac20 04ad0b8d54e946ef93716a92a7159da9 d746aba61ba143af9971534792657e19] Returning exception Version 1.9 of Instance is not supported
Traceback (most recent call last):

 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/openstack/common/rpc/amqp.py", line 461, in _process_data
   **args)

 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/openstack/common/rpc/dispatcher.py", line 171, in dispatch
   kwargs = self._deserialize_args(ctxt, kwargs)

 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/openstack/common/rpc/dispatcher.py", line 126, in _deserialize_args
   arg)

 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/objects/base.py", line 539, in deserialize_entity
   entity = NovaObject.obj_from_primitive(entity, context=context)

 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/objects/base.py", line 259, in obj_from_primitive
   objclass = cls.obj_class_from_name(objname, objver)

 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/objects/base.py", line 230, in obj_class_from_name
   objver=objver)

IncompatibleObjectVersion: Version 1.9 of Instance is not supported
to caller

I have not upgraded my controller nodes yet because I would like to better understand what is happening here.  Is this being caused because the newer version of nova-compute no longer accepts requests from the (older) openstack software on the controller?  Is this expected behavior, and I should go ahead and upgrade the controller?  What does Version 1.9 refer to?

I performed this same upgrade in a lab environment and did not see this behavior.

Thanks,
Mike

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use and review of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message solely to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify sender immediately by telephone or return email. Thank you.