[Openstack] [neutron] neutron api

Akihiro Motoki motoki at da.jp.nec.com
Wed Feb 5 04:11:30 UTC 2014

Hi Ageeleshwar,

Have you solved this topic already?

Please see Networking API v2.0 reference [1] at docs.openstack.org.
This is the official document maintained by neutron team.

(2014/02/03 21:33), Ageeleshwar Kandavelu wrote:
> I was trying to use the python-neutronclient for creating security groups and it throws the weird ("NeutronClientException: Unable to find 'security_group' in request body" ) exception. Why is it
> trying to find a security group when I am trying to create a new one.

I think it is just because your request body is not a proper format.
An example of the request body is available at [2].

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-network/2.0/content/security-groups-ext.html
[2]http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-network/2.0/content/POST_security-groups-v2.0_createSecGroup_v2.0_security-groups_security-groups-ext.html

> the list and get method of the python-neutronclient work well though.
>

> I checked the neutron api documentation and see that it has CRUD methods only for network, subnet and ports. (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/APIv2-specification)
>
> Now I am really confused about the work-flow. Is neutron responsible for creating security groups or is it nova(create works with nova except that i do not know how to add rules to the sg).

Neutron security group can be managed through both neutron API and nova API.
If you need full features of Neutron security group, you need to use Neutron API directly.

Thanks,
Akihiro