[Openstack] Building Swift cluster wiuth Ubuntu VM's

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Mon Feb 3 04:08:02 UTC 2014

Hello PpenStack peeps.

Okay, I'm having a somewhat hard time with a PoC multi-node Swift cluster
build from scratch not using any scripts. My infrastructure is VM's and
attached volumes to each VM.

(http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/howto_installmultinode.html)

I'm running into issues where the instructions start to get really
hazy/unclear after step #4 in Configure Proxy Server. It says in step #5 to
run a series of commands  for each device listed in "/srv/node" but I
haven't seen a step prior to step #5 that populates that directory with
devices. The volumes attached to the sevrer are listed in /var/Monsoon/___.
Also, the Configure Storage Nodes says to do something completely different
with each device on each node so I'm thinking this is a Proxy Server thing
I'm not getting here.

Granted I'm not going to use the Proxy server as a storage node but even if
I was, what to do when there is nothing in that directory? Is it run later
or not needed or an error in the documentation?

Maybe I'll progress beyond this point tomorrow and see what errors I get
but I really want to understand the impact of not seeing what I should be
seeing and not performing this step because the step seems rather, well,
important. :-) The following step (6) says to verify the contents for each
ring which means you need to populate the ring first which brings me back
to step 5. So I'm thinking I can't really move forward even if I wanted to
until content exists and as it stands, there's nothing in there.

Thoughts?

   1.

   For every storage device in /srv/node on each node add entries to each
   ring:

   export ZONE=                    # set the zone number for that storage device
   export STORAGE_LOCAL_NET_IP=    # and the IP address
   export WEIGHT=100               # relative weight (higher for
bigger/faster disks)
   export DEVICE=sdb1
   swift-ring-builder account.builder add
z$ZONE-$STORAGE_LOCAL_NET_IP:6002/$DEVICE $WEIGHT
   swift-ring-builder container.builder add
z$ZONE-$STORAGE_LOCAL_NET_IP:6001/$DEVICE $WEIGHT
   swift-ring-builder object.builder add
z$ZONE-$STORAGE_LOCAL_NET_IP:6000/$DEVICE $WEIGHT

   Note

   Assuming there are 5 zones with 1 node per zone, ZONE should start at 1
   and increment by one for each additional node.

*Adam Lawson*
AQORN, Inc.
427 North Tatnall Street
Ste. 58461