[Openstack] port on openvswitch not tagged upon VM launch

DeadManMoving sequel at neofreak.org
Sun Feb 2 21:02:25 UTC 2014

Hi list,

i have a nearly working neutron + openvswitch + VLAN setup but, i have a
small problem however...

I am running neutron-server on a node controller and
neutron-openvswitch-agent and neutron-dhcp-agent running on a compute
node.

On the compute node, i have an initial bridge, with two physical
interfaces in bonding, with some VLANs trunked on the bond.

On the controller node, i created a network with --provider:network_type
vlan and --provider:segmentation_id xxx (xxx being one of the VLAN
trunked on the bond inside my initial bridge). Then, i created a subnet
on that network.

When i launch neutron-dhcp-agent on the compute node, everything seem
fine : the namespace is being created, there is a port with tag 1 on the
integration bridge for the dnsmasq process and, i can ping the IP of the
dnsmasq process from a device on the xxx vlan. I can also see the
openflow flows for vlan modification on both bridge (vlan xxx to vlan 1,
vlan 1 to vlan xxx).

However, my problem is that when i launch a VM using the network i
created in neutron, a port is being created in the integration bridge
but, it is not tagged with vlan 1 so, the VM is unable to communicate on
the network. As soon as i tag the port with vlan 1, with a command
like :

ovs-vsctl set Port tap1234-ab tag=1

the VM is able to communicate on the network.

So, am i missing something obvious? Or maybe that i have something
misconfigured in my neutron setup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tony