[Openstack] Fwd: nova unique name generator middleware

Craig J craig.jellick at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 00:29:30 UTC 2014

Thanks Belmiro. I think long term we may end up doing something similar.
Though our network infrastructure is fairly complex, so it would be more
like a call to a network API (maybe just a DNS check?) rather than querying
a DB directly.

Aryeh, to your point, OpenStack effectively _is_, the provisioning system.
Our current use case is providing engineers with a self service portal for
spinning up VMs on which they can do development work. So, the workflow is
user -> UI -> nova API. But when a VM is spun up, we still want to
integrate with existing systems such as Active Directory (via
PBIS/Likewise). Long term, we have grander plans for making OpenStack the
provisioning system for our integration and production environments and
we'll probably need to build more ellaborate smarts into it.

At any rate, we aren't integrated fuly with DNS and some other systems yet
and in taking an iterative approach, we are thinking that if we can have a
quick and dirty way to guarantee name uniqueness with a relatively simple
piece of code, we can address deeper integration later.