[Openstack] Scheduled Backup (was Openstack capabilities)

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Tue Dec 23 18:20:33 UTC 2014

There is a need for an end user service for backup/snapshot on a schedule. Raksha (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Raksha) was close but does not seem to be actively developed at the moment. Extensions for remote replication on schedule would be really welcome.

It is not clear to me how the standard user arranges a reasonable backup strategy for their VM currently on OpenStack ?

While there are some applications which can be re-created from scratch faster than from backup, the typical CERN test/dev instance is where people try out ideas before setting things up in Puppet or with external volumes. Explaining that the VM is lost is not an easy discussion.

It can all be scripted… can we arrange that this this requires a relatively limited effort to script ? Passwords, expiration of old images and replication are not trivial problems to solve for the average end user.

Tim