[Openstack] Openstack capabilities

Yaguang Tang heut2008 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 09:35:28 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 6:14 AM, Erik McCormick <emccormick at cirrusseven.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>> This is a giant rabbithole.
>>

> It is a giant rabbithole, but there's nothing in Openstack that is
> inherently *not* compliant. Having been through a number of these, you can
> achieve all of the audit requirements by properly configuring your cloud
> the way you would any other system.
>

>>  4.Audit trail enabled on all interactions (i.e server shutdown etc.)
>>>

>> OpenStack currently supports notification queues that can be used to
>> provide audit capabilities.
>>
>>  5.Support buying a new VM, signing up, auto charging them by credit card
>>> verification and auto provisioning VMs.
>>>

>> Not supported now. Not likely to ever be supported by OpenStack, too much
>> of a custom feature for the user interface, which is something that
>> OpenStack's upstream UI (Horizon) is unlikely to develop.
>>
>> Again, this is a 3rd party problem. Openstack provides all the hooks that
> you need to tie in something like Velvica to manage users, signup, billing
> integration, etc. Usage data is provided by Ceilometer. Most of these
> systems relay out to horizon, but there are a few that replace the
> dashboard entirely. This is becoming a much richer space with more players
> all the time.
>
>  6.Upgrade existing VMs with ability to reboot VM to have resources added
>>>

>> Currently supported. This is the resize/migrate operation in nova.
>>
>>  7.Cancel VM which stops billing and scheduling for VM to be removed for
>>> x days later
>>>

>> Not currently supported. Possibly supported some time in the future if we
>> decide it's worthwhile to put time-based constraints and reservations into
>> the scheduler.
>>
>> See #5
>

>>  8.Support for pay by the minute billing
>>>

>> OpenStack does not ship a billing solution. This is something that is the
>> responsibility of the operator, since it's a *very* custom feature and
>> almost always involves proprietary code linking.
>>
>>  9.Support for multiple data centre locations
>>>

>> This is currently supported.
>>
>>  Specifically look at documentation around Regions.
>

>> 10.Supports a DNS Manager
>>>

>> This is currently supported with the Designate component.
>>
>>  11.Ability to do a hard shutdown on VM
>>>

>> This is currently supported.
>>
>>  12.Ability to have console level access
>>>

>> This is currently supported.
>>
>>  13.Spin up new instance which wipes old instance and ability to reinstall
>>>

>> This doesn't really make any sense. This isn't cloud. This is bare-metal
>> hosting you are describing.
>>
>> OpenStack's VMs are hosted in the cloud -- i.e. virtualized. When you
>> terminate a VM, you lose the data on the VM's ephemeral storage, which is
>> why for data that you need to keep around, you use volumes (block storage).
>>
>>  14.Supports backup manager
>>>

>> The snapshot operation and daily/weekly/hourly backup operations are
>> currently supported via OpenStack Nova's API. However, if you're looking
>> for some Windows GUI that does backups, that isn't something that OpenStack

      Yeah we do have API support for instance backup periodically , but
AFAIK this feature doesn't work at all, there isn't a periodic worker doing
that, and
       instance periodic backup info isn't stored anywhere, I have written
a patch to implement that for a customer before, if this is a common
feature request,  I'd like to discuss in the openstack-dev ML and
contribute it to upstream.

>>  15.Ability to change password for panel login via email or security
>>> questions etc.
>>>

>> Changing passwords is currently supported. Security questions are a
>> UI-specific thing and not something that is built-into OpenStack's APIs.
>>
>>  16.VM management windows the shows RAM, CPU usage, IP, server name etc.
>>> (dashboard)
>>>

>> This is currently supported.
>>
>>  17.Scheduled maintenance window that shows upcoming or passed (dashboard)
>>>

>> This is not supported.
>>
>>  18.Dashboard showing all VMs and current utilizations
>>>

>> This is currently supported.
>>
>>  19.One click install software packages for define package
>>>

>> Are you looking for an infrastructure service or a platform service?
>> OpenStack's infrastructure services manage virtualized resources. Platform
>> services, like the Murano project in Stackforge, can be used to interface
>> with things like CloudFoundry to let you define software packages that
>> would get installed on your virtual resources.
>>
>>  20.Monitoring management to turn on/off or silence alerts
>>>

>> This is not supported by OpenStack. This is something you can install
>> yourself and use as you want.
>>
>>  21.Mobile support for rebooting VMs
>>>

>> This is not supported.
>>

> There are several apps on Android devices I know of but haven't played
> with. I assume there are iOS ones also. The Openstack APIs support it.
> There simply isn't an "official" client maintained by the foundation.
>

>>  22.Security Threat Center
>>>

>> ? We have a security advisory mailing list. But OpenStack is not Macafee
>> Windows software.
>>

> Agreed that there is nothing inherent in the Openstack product to flash
> warnings up on your screen if there's a new CVE. However there is an active
> security group (OSSG) and security advisories are sent and addressed with
> patches.
>

>>  23.Token tracking for resellers of our services
>>>

>> This is not supported.
>

> #5 again. Most of the CRM systems have reseller capabilities.
>

>>  I would really appreciate if anyone can take a time to put a yes/no/NA
>>> next to each of the item on the list, it will definitely help me big
>>> time. I tried reading and watching few videos but I would really like to
>>> make sure as some of the items on the list are must haves.
>>>

>> It really sounds to me like you are looking for some all-in-one hosting
>> solution, not really running your own cloud infrastructure. I'd recommend
>> looking at just being a customer or reseller of one of the cloud providers
>> like Rackspace Cloud, HP Cloud, Amazon Web Services, or Softlayer.
>>
>> Best,
>> -jay
>>
>>  Thank you in advance.
>>>
>>> Regards,