[Openstack] Mystery of VM's Hostname

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 15:46:31 UTC 2014

> *2).* Please do point me to any helpful links from where I can get
> understanding of VM's hostname mechanism.

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

If cloud-init is installed and is able to connect to the metadata
service, cloud-init will set your hostname based on the value provided
in the metadata.

If cloud-init is *not* installed or is *not* able to connect to the
metadata service, the hostname you end up with is going to depend on
whatever distribution you happen to be booting (that is, at this point
you no long have an openstack question, you have "how does
redhat/ubuntu/etc set the hostname if has not been explicitly
configured by the administrator?").

On RHEL-ish systems (centos, fedora, etc), if the hostname is set to
the default "localhost.localdomain", the system will use reverse dns
to determine the name.  This behavior may be different on other
distributions.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ {freenode,twitter,github}
Cloud Engineering / OpenStack          | http://blog.oddbit.com/