[Openstack] [OSSN 0042] Keystone token scoping provides no security benefit

Preston L. Bannister preston at bannister.us
Wed Dec 17 18:16:31 UTC 2014

I take issue with choice of words, in your note. The key here is around
this statement:

Essentially, this means that any token for a particular user can indirectly
> be used to perform any action that user is allowed to perform.

As we are talking about actions the "user is allowed to perform", then we
are *not* talking about "privilege escalation". The current behavior is
*not* a malfunction that needs fixing.

Leaving aside the slightly alarming use of words, what you seem to be
proposing is a *new* behavior in Keystone. It sounds like you are proposing
a means of creating a scoped token that *cannot* be used to request another
token with a different scope.

The use case that comes to mind is limited trust. You want to pass a token
to another service, but you want to limit that service to *less* than the
full range of permissions for the user.

If the use case is limited trust, then changing the project scope is only
one aspect. You might also want to subtract other permissions held by the
user.

The more general case here is the ability to enumerate and enable (if
allowed) or disable capabilities. (Windows has some rather elaborate APIs
around this, that I have not visited in several years.)

Sounds like you want to *enhance* security via introducing control over
capabilities.

I have not spent a lot of time with Keystone, some perhaps I missed
something. I do not see anything along that line mentioned. Is there
interest in introducing control over capabilities in Keystone tokens?