[Openstack] Network speed issue

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Tue Dec 16 18:12:16 UTC 2014

On 12/16/2014 09:38 AM, Adrián Norte Fernández wrote:
> Disable offloading on the nodes with: ethtool -K interfaceName gro off
> gso off tso off
>
> And then try it again

That should only make things better if there was some sort of actual
functional problem no?

When diagnosing "network" performance issues I like to get other things
out of the way - so get rid of filesystems, encryption, etc.  To that
end I would suggest running a basic network benchmark.  I have a natural
bias towards netperf of course :)  http://www.netperf.org/ but even
iperf would suffice.

I've also found (based on some ancient work back in the whatever the "D"
release was called time frame that emulated NICs (in my case the
realtek) are much slower than the virt_io "NIC."  In the case of the
realteck emulation at least, my recollection was the maximum I got out
of an instance was on the order of about 250ish Mbit/s as it happens...

happy benchmarking,

rick jones