[Openstack] Technical advantages of Openstack over Cloudstack

Mark Kirkwood mark.kirkwood at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Dec 9 01:03:34 UTC 2014

On 09/12/14 10:52, Jay Pipes wrote:
> Hi Jordi, thank you SO much for this email. It is excellent feedback for
> our community and our developers. I've provided some comments inline,
> but overall just wanted to thank you for bringing some of these product
> needs to our attention.
>
> On 12/03/2014 01:42 PM, Jordi Moles Blanco wrote:

>> Ceph is great and very scalable, while Cloudstack only asks you to add
>> an external storage system (mainly NAS or SAN).
>> So, in Cloudstack, you have to prepare and scale if necessary an
>> independent storage system or create a new zone with a new pool.
>> I wonder how much you can actually scale Ceph and if you don't have to
>> make a new deployment of Openstack when you reach a certain number of
>> Ceph nodes or computes nodes (specially because performance declines
>> after a certain number of Ceph nodes).
>
> Not sure. I'll let the Ceph experts handle that question...

Not sure I qualify as a Ceph expert, but Ceph is designed to be
massively scalable, so is unlikely to be troubled by adding storage
nodes (i.e hosts running osds).

Some links for Ceph architecture and scalability:

http://ceph.com/docs/master/architecture/
http://www.pdsw.org/pdsw13/slides/feiyi-pdsw13.pdf

regards

Mark