[Openstack] [Cinder][VMWare]Not able see attached volume without instance reboot.

foss geek thefossgeek at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 13:35:24 UTC 2014

Dear All,

I am using the Debian VMDK image for testing Cinder with VMware vCenter
VMDK driver:

http://partnerweb.vmware.com/programs/vmdkimage/debian-2.6.32-i686.vmdk

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaVMware/DeveloperGuide

It seems by default the above debian vmdk image not configured to load
"acpiphp" kernel module at boot time.

Here is /etc/module file after instance launch

# cat /etc/modules

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
# Parameters can be specified after the module name.

Loop

# dmesg |grep acpiphp:

Because of this I am not able see attached volume in instance. After
attaching volume I did the below steps manually and still it requires VM
reboot to see attached volume.

# modprobe -v acpiphp
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.32-5-686/kernel/drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp.ko

root at debian:~# dmesg |grep acpiphp:
[ 2614.352369] acpiphp: ACPI Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version: 0.5
[ 2614.352765] acpiphp: Slot [32] registered
[ 2614.352873] acpiphp: Slot [33] registered

# echo “acpiphp” >> /etc/modules

My question is:

Is there any tool in Linux to edit the above VMDK and add acpiphp to load
at boot time?

what are other kernel module required to hotplug volume to running instance?

--
Thanks & Regards
E-Mail: thefossgeek at gmail.com
IRC: neophy