[Openstack] What is the best way to use Docker into Openstack?

Robert van Leeuwen Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com
Fri Dec 5 07:15:33 UTC 2014

> What is the best way to use Docker into Openstack in this case? and How?
> I should use Docker like as hypervisor via Nova Driver
> or
> there is one way that I can deploy Docker on top of OpenStack +
> KVM and They still  warrant performance and have some advance features of Docker?

Hi,

If you want any kind of multi-tenancy I think you currently still need to run Docker in a virtual on a cloud.
Most platforms that are in to works are not really ready for that yet.
This is also what you at e.g  kubernetes @ the google cloud, they will simple spawn instances for you where you will run the containers in.
There is a nice security overview about containers here:
http://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/38191500#

Next to this you need to think about how you are going to manage those docker containers on, I assume, a large scale.
I'm still not convinced about the most solutions that I've seen.
It looks like this landscape is still forming and evolving rapidly.

To name just a few things you can look at:
mesos: http://mesos.apache.org/
kubernetes: http://kubernetes.io/ (note that the heat installation for OpenStack seems to be Rackspace specific)
fleet: https://coreos.com/using-coreos/clustering/
openshift / openshift origin: https://www.openshift.com/products/origin
Geard (openshift uses this): https://github.com/openshift/geard/blob/master/README.md

I'd be happy to hear what other people have experience with :)

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen