[Openstack] Keystone and Horizon questions

Marcus White roastedseaweed.k at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 04:17:24 UTC 2014

Thank you Clint, had some follow up questions inline:)

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 12:12 AM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Marcus White's message of 2014-08-23 09:55:24 -0700:
>> Hello,
>> I had some keystone and Horizon questions, would apprecite it if
>> anyone can help:-)
>>
>> a. Does Keystone run as a service scaled across multiple nodes? Since
>> it would need access to shared data, I dont understand how it scales.
>>

> It stores data in various backends. The default is SQL, and many use
> LDAP to link with existing ID stores.
>
> It runs as a REST API in front of those data backends, and scales out
> quite nicely like any other web application.

For SQL, if SQL runs on Keystone with every node, how is the data on
all nodes synchronized? Does the SQL server run externally as a
service? I read somewhere that SQL runs with keystone hence the
qstion.

>> b. If it does not run on multiple nodes as a service, how can it
>> handle a large number of concurrent requests?
>>
>> c. Is it expected to be a service that is exposed to the clients on a
>> public cloud? Does Rackspace today do it or any other public cloud?
>>

> Yes it is expected to be exposed. Users authenticate to keystone and are
> given a token which can be used to grant access to the other OpenStack
> services.
>
>> Some horizon questions also
>>
>> a. Does Horizon allow customization for specific services? Is there
>> any way to add value on top of it for my own Nova or Swift or Cinder
>> view, can I do that or is it whatever is done by the community the
>> only thing available?
>>

> It's open source. Go wild. ;) I believe there are hooks for
> skins/themes, and one can add plugins for other functionality.
Can I change the full view of how the Nova part or Cinder part of
Swift part looks completely and even present a different set of data?