[Openstack] Swift Ring Maintenance

Lillie Ross-CDSR11 Ross.Lillie at motorolasolutions.com
Fri Aug 22 18:50:45 UTC 2014

All,

I want to reconfigure a number of disks in my Swift storage cluster to reside in different zones, and I’m unsure of the best way to accomplish this.

One way would be to set the drive weights to 0 and wait for data to migrate off the drives, then remove the drive from their current zone and re-add the drive to the new zone, rebalance and push the new ring files out to the cluster.

Or I could simply remove the drives, re-add the drives to their new zones, rebalance and push out the updated ring files.

Is one approach better than the other, or is there a better way than I’ve outlined above? Since any approach would be performed over a weekend, I’m not concerned about the effects of cluster performance as partitions are shuffled around.

Thoughts and inputs are welcome.

Thanks,
Ross