[Openstack] CentOS 6.5 cloud-init growpart/resizefs does not work on first boot.

sylecn sylecn at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 08:25:43 UTC 2014

> >> These are log messages from cloud-init's growpart run. Can you post the
> boot messages from initrd growpart?
> >>

> >> ...Juerg
> >>
> > Hi Juerg,
> >
> > I didn't know about initrd based growpart. I see both
> cloud-utils-growpart and dracut-modules-growroot are installed in the base
> image (via yum info).
> > Do I need any config on kernel modules or build a special initrd to make
> growpart work on first boot?
>
> The initrd needs to be rebuilt after installing the
> dracut-modules-growroot.
>

> > I didn't see growpart message in dmesg and kernel syslog
> (/var/log/messages on the guest) in first boot and 2nd boot.
> > /var/log/boot.log also has no information on that. Where can I get the
> boot message from initrd growpart?
>
> They should be in /var/log/boot.log. On CentOS 6.3:
> [root at centos-6-3 ~]# cat /var/log/boot.log | grep grow
> growroot: CHANGED: partition=1 start=2048 old: size=4192256 end=4194304
> new: size=20969408,end=20971456
>

> Double-check that you have the growroot pieces in the initrd:
> [root at centos-6-3 ~]# lsinitrd
> /boot/initramfs-2.6.32-279.19.1.el6.x86_64.img  | grep grow
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         7077 Jan 10  2013 usr/bin/growpart
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         3085 Jan 16  2013
> pre-pivot/00growroot.sh
>

> ...Juerg

The old initramfs did not contain growpart, installing
dracut-modules-growroot did not trigger a rebuild automatically.
After rebuilding initramfs, and re-creating an image from the instance, it
worked.

Thanks Juerg.

--
*YY Inc. is hiring* openstack and python developers. Interested? Check
http://soa.game.yy.com/jobs.html

Yuanle