[Openstack] From single flat to multi flat provider network

Chris contact at progbau.de
Wed Aug 6 08:45:31 UTC 2014

Hello,

we currently have a multi flat provider network neutron setup, we are
not using any L3 neutron service, just the dhcp server and the metadata
agent. There are currently 8 compute nodes in the initial network. Now
we want to expand and have compute nodes in different sub-nets. So this
will be a change from single to multi flat provider network.

The sub-nets are routed by a physical router which is also the gateway
for the compute nodes and instances. Each sub-net is VLAN taged (by the
provider) corresponding to the sub-net. For now we not care about the
VLAN tags, its just to give you all information to find the appropriated
solution.

10.1.200.0/24 (VLAN 200) (GW: 10.1.200.254) -> 8 compute nodes +
Management Node (Glance, Keystone, Neutron etc.)
10.1.177.0/24 (VLAN 177) (GW: 10.1.177.254) -> new x compute nodes

Now the questions:

What configuration changes need to be done to change from single to
multi "mode"
What about the metadata and the dhcp server, this can not be routed?!
How to solve it, IP-Helper address in the router or one neutron
installation per sub-net?

Here is the m12 config:

# egrep "^[^#\s]" ml2_conf.ini
type_drivers = local,flat
mechanism_drivers = openvswitch,l2population
flat_networks = *
enable_security_group = True
firewall_driver =
neutron.agent.linux.iptables_firewall.OVSHybridIptablesFirewallDriver
enable_tunneling = False
local_ip = 10.1.200.8
network_vlan_ranges = physnet1
bridge_mappings = physnet1:br-bond1