[Openstack] Custom Nova Scheduler Weigher

Danny Beutler dannybeutler at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 22:10:48 UTC 2014

For what it is worth...I was able to code a weigher. By dropping the code
below into a .py file in the weights directory and restarting the
scheduler, the scheduler will automatically consider if instances in the
same group are on a node before placing another instance there. For what it
is worth, both the ram weigher and the antiAffinity weigher are on the
playing field and so I have set "one node in the same group= 100GB of ram".

Thanks,
Danny Beutler

"""
AntiAffinityWeigher.  Weigh hosts by whether or not they have another host
in the same group.

"""

from oslo.config import cfg

from nova import db
from nova.openstack.common.gettextutils import _
from nova.scheduler import weights
from nova.scheduler import filters
from nova.openstack.common import log as logging

LOG = logging.getLogger(__name__)

anti_affinity_weight_opts = [
        cfg.FloatOpt('antiAffinityWeigher_Multiplier',
                     default=1.0,
                     help='Multiplier used for weighing hosts.  Negative '
                          'numbers mean to spread vs stack.'),
]

CONF = cfg.CONF
CONF.register_opts(anti_affinity_weight_opts)

class AntiAffinityWeigher(weights.BaseHostWeigher):
    def _weight_multiplier(self):
        """Override the weight multiplier."""
        return CONF.antiAffinityWeigher_Multiplier

    def _weigh_object(self, host_state, weight_properties):
        group_hosts = weight_properties.get('group_hosts') or []
        LOG.debug(_("Group anti affinity weigher: check if %(host)s not "
                    "in %(configured)s"), {'host': host_state.host,
                                           'configured': group_hosts})
        if group_hosts:
            group_hosts = weight_properties.get('group_hosts') or []
            num_instances_in_group = group_hosts.count(host_state.host)
            LOG.debug(_("Number of instances in the same group on this node
%(host)s"), {'host': num_instances_in_group})
            return group_hosts.count(host_state.host) * -100000

        # No groups configured
        return 0

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Dugger, Donald D <donald.d.dugger at intel.com