[Openstack] [SWIFT]Creating a new container in Swift does first POST then PUT

Keshava Bharadwaj kb.sankethi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 14:42:03 UTC 2014

I believe you are talking about the behavior of swift command (
python-swiftclient) rather than the swift server process itself.

1. Swift proxy server process ( in turn container process) handles PUT and
POST verbs separately
i.e if you use apis directly,e.g.  via curl or python libraries, there will
be no logic of doing a POST first and PUT next.

2. swift command line ( python-swiftclient) provides an abstracted way to
do things..
in fact it has a single command to post any kind of resource
(container/object)  and to further ease the effort on user to create
container separately and update it, its providing an unified interface. its
just usability choice the devs had chosen i believe.
May be one of authors can comment more on it.

--
Keshava