[Openstack] [openstack][SWIFT] I want to talk about costs !! (against amazon S3)

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Wed Apr 30 19:40:59 UTC 2014

Alejandro,

Maybe this will help you. It's a cost analysis we did for one of our large
clients who were using S3 heavily and considering a move to Swift. We did
the analysis to determine if it was worth the investment and confirm how
the underlying infrastructure (phys/virt) impacted the final cost of
service. It was then easy to compare those numbers against AWS so their
leadership could assess whether the savings were worth the effort. Because
there were definitely savings.

Analysis completed about a month ago. Conclusion? Running Swift on virtual
infrastructure wasn't worth it (too expensive), running even a small Swift
cluster on physical commodity hardware *beat* AWS by $0.029 (assuming AWS
was $0.075 per GB). The margins are slim for both Swift and AWS but saving
2c per GB adds up which means Swift gets more cost advantageous with larger
clusters; according to our calculations. Numbers below assume VMware is
used for virtual infra with its full-cycle service delivery costs baked in.

> *Monthly costs Swift on Virt Swift on Phys AWS **Per GB $0.63 $0.046
> $0.075*
>
> Proxy ct: 6 $5.04 4GB RAM=$0.84
> Storage ct: 15 $7,887.60 2500gb=$525 4GB RAM=$0.84
> Keystone ct: 3 $3.36 8GB RAM=$1.68
> Virt Cost $7,896.00 monthly
>
> HW Cost $34,500 Cap ~$1500/server
> $575 monthly 5 year EOL
> $575 / 12.5TB usable capacity = cost/GB/month

*Adam Lawson*
AQORN, Inc.
427 North Tatnall Street
Ste. 58461