[Openstack] Openstack volume device name convention

Udara Liyanage udaraliyanage at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 06:46:04 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have setup Openstack havana version.

When I attach a device to an instance I provide the device name as /dev/vdc.
But the actual device name inside the instance is "vdb". Next volume
attached get the device name as "vdc". Regardless of the device name I
provide at the time of attachment, above behavior is consistent.
Is this the expected behavior or is there any configuration to change this
behavior. But the Openstack UI show the volume device name as /dev/sdc.

My requirement is to know the device name of the volume without logging
into the instance.

--
Udara S.S Liyanage.
Software Engineer at WSO2.