[Openstack] [nova] Havana -> Icehouse upgrades with cells

Chris Behrens cbehrens at codestud.com
Thu Apr 24 14:30:52 UTC 2014

On Apr 24, 2014, at 6:10 AM, Sam Morrison <sorrison at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm I may have but I’ve just done another test with everything set to use_local=False except nova-conductor where use_local=True
> I also reverted that change I put though as mentioned above and I still get an infinite loop. Can’t really figure out what is going on here.
> Conductor is trying to talk to conductor and use_local definitely equals True.
> (this is all with havana conductor btw)

Interesting

>> So, does your nova-conductor not have object version 1.13? As I was trying to get at in a previous reply, I think the only way this can possibly work is that you have Icehouse nova-conductor running in ALL cells.
>
> OK so in my compute cell I am now running an Icehouse conductor. Everything else is Havana including the DB version.
>
> This actually seems to make all the things that didn’t work now work. However it also means that the thing that did work (booting an instance) no longer works.
> This is an easy fix and just requires nova-conductor to call the run_instance scheduler rpcapi method with version 2.9 as opposed the icehouse version 3.0.
> I don’t think anything has changed here so this might be an easy fix that could be pushed upstream. It just needs to change the scheduler rpcapi to be aware what version it can use.
> I changed the upgrade_levels scheduler=havana but that wasn’t handled by the scheduler rpcapi and just gave a version not new enough exception.
>
> I think I’m making progress…..

Cool. So, what is tested upstream is upgrading everything except nova-compute. You could try upgrading nova-scheduler as well. Although, I didn’t think we had any build path going through conductor yet. Do you happen to have a traceback from that? (Curious what the call path looks like)

- Chris