[Openstack] [nova] Havana -> Icehouse upgrades with cells

Chris Behrens cbehrens at codestud.com
Thu Apr 24 06:28:48 UTC 2014

On Apr 23, 2014, at 6:36 PM, Sam Morrison <sorrison at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah I’m not sure what’s going on, I removed my hacks and tried it using the conductor rpcapi service and got what I think is a recursive call in nova-conductor.
>
> Added more details to https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1308805
>
> I’m thinking there maybe something missing in the stable/havana branch or else cells is doing something different when it comes to objects.
> I don’t think it is a cells issue though as debugging it, it seems like it just can’t back port a 1.13 object to 1.9.
>
> Cheers,
> Sam

Oh.  You know, it turns out that conductor API bug you found…was really not a real bug, I don’t think. The only thing that can backport is the conductor service, if the conductor service has been upgraded. Ie, ‘use_local’ would never ever work, because it was the local service that didn’t understand the new object version to begin with. So trying to use_local would still not understand the new version. Make sense? (This should probably be made to fail gracefully, however :)

And yeah, I think what you have going on now when you’re actually using the conductor… is that conductor is getting a request to backport, but it doesn’t know how to backport…. so it’s kicking it to itself to backport.. and infinite recursion occurs. Do you happen to have use_local=False in your nova-conductor nova.conf? That would cause nova-conductor to RPC to itself to try to backport, hehe. Again, we should probably have some graceful failing here in some way. 1) nova-conductor should probably always force use_local=True. And the LocalAPI should probably just implement object_backport() such that it raises a nice error.

So, does your nova-conductor not have object version 1.13? As I was trying to get at in a previous reply, I think the only way this can possibly work is that you have Icehouse nova-conductor running in ALL cells.

- Chris