[Openstack] Openstack Swift with Azure Integration

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Apr 21 13:41:43 UTC 2014

Hi Mehmet,

There’s a couple of ways you can solve this problem.

1. Client side

If you’re writing some sort of client for a customer to solve this problem, you can use a multi-cloud SDK like jclouds, libcloud, or Fog to store their files in one cloud or the other depending on how full Swift is.

2. Server side

This is probably a better solution. You’d need to write some Swift middleware to handle it for your customer. There are lots of good guides and examples for creating Swift middleware:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/development_middleware.html
https://github.com/openstack/swift/tree/master/swift/common/middleware
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-ops/content/customize.html#swift_middleware_example
http://julien.danjou.info/blog/2013/extending-swift-with-a-middleware-clamav

Don’t forget you’ll probably want to return a header to the client in the response from the middleware so the client knows where their object has been stored.

HTH,
Everett