[Openstack] RDO cinder upgrading havana to icehouse

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Sat Apr 19 18:19:21 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Remo Mattei <remo at italy1.com> wrote:

> Interesting solution I m curious to see if it works. I do not see why but
> maybe code changed to much to make it seamless.
>

> Inviato da iPhone ()
>
> > Il giorno Apr 18, 2014, alle ore 11:51, Dimitri Maziuk <
> dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu> ha scritto:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm thinking of adding a cinder storage node to our centos 6/rdo/havana
> > setup & I wonder if I should go icehouse on that. Anyone tried mixing
> > icehouse cinder storage node w/ havana controller (and the rest)? Any
> > gotchas or reasons I shouldn't do that?
> >
> > TIA
> > --
> > Dimitri Maziuk
> > Programmer/sysadmin
> > BioMagResBank, UW-Madison -- http://www.bmrb.wisc.edu

> > !DSPAM:1,535176a833621865462940!

​Not something I've tried, in "theory" if you set the rpc version on your
Icehouse Cinder-Volume install to match that of your Havana Controller the
bulk of any issues should be covered.

The idea is that most things like DB access and API items are changed
before the scheduler/rpc layer and the items below that should maintain
compatibility.  In other words the RPC versioning is intended to allow you
to do exactly what you describe here.

Honestly I think the best answer unless somebody else has tried it is going
to be "If you have the patience and don't mind it possibly not working;
give it a shot".  It "should" work, but I don't know of anybody testing it.

I'd love to hear how it worked out if you try it.

John​