[Openstack] Horizon inconsistencies

Julie Pichon jpichon at redhat.com
Mon Apr 14 10:30:01 UTC 2014

Hi Erich,

On 11/04/14 17:32, Erich Weiler wrote:
> Hey Y'all,
>
> In my seemingly never-ending quest to nail down OpenStack, I'm having
> two odd issues with Horizon I was hoping someone could shed some light
> on.  I'm using RDO OpenStack Icehouse RC1.
>
> 1: My test user has been creating and destroying VM instances for a
> while for various tests.  It seems, however, that the Horizon dashboard
> that shows how many CPUs, RAM, instances, etc on the front page is
> flawed, as right now there are no running instances at all, but it still
> shows me running 1 CPU, 1 instance and two GB of RAM.  It's like an
> instance got destroyed but whatever is watching the utilization metrics
> didn't get updated.  Is that a known issue?

I'm not sure if you're talking about the charts or the usage table?

The charts are using the limits/quota data from the different services,
you might want to make sure the quota information in the databases is in
sync if you're seeing issue there.

The usage table shows data for a time period, usually the current month
by default. It's not a snapshot of the current state of the system (you
could switch the dates to only show information for the current day, if
that helps.)

> 2: It seems that every once in a while my session in Horizon times out
> (which is expected), and then I try to log in again, and it flips to a
> page saying something to the effect of "Something went wrong!  Refresh
> your page and see if it helps".  It doesn't help.  It seems the only
> thing that helps is restarting keystone, then I can log in and
> everything looks fine.  Horizon is using memchached, if that makes any
> difference.  It's like it's caching old/bad credentials or something and
> confusing Horizon.  Does that ring any bells?

That seems like a bug... Is there any information in httpd/horizon logs
when this happens? How about the Keystone logs? Once you have that
information (especially stack traces), it would be helpful if you could
open a new bug at [1]. Thanks!

Julie

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon