[Openstack] [Neutron] one virtual port with two IP, what is the best way to bind the addresses in VM?

sylecn sylecn at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 05:36:37 UTC 2014

Hi all,

neutron port-create usually allocate one IP with one port, but in a recent
use case, I need to allocate two IP addresses on one port. I am glade to
see it is already supported by neutron.

The vm also boots fine with the virtual port. Problem is vm is configured
to get address from DHCP and only one address is offered and binded to eth0
automatically. What is the best way to bind both IPs in a automated way?

I could think of two solutions:
1. create the port and pass in both IPs via userdata to nova api.
    Use system commands to bind the 2nd IP.

2. enhance metadata service to return all IP addresses instead of only the
first IP.
    For example,

curl http://169.254.169.254/openstack/2013-10-17/ips.json

[["eth0", ["192.168.1.5", "10.0.1.5"]]
 ["eth1": ["172.17.1.5"]]]

    Use cloud-init to bind all IPs that is not binded by DHCP client.

What's your advice on this? Are there any neutron or DHCP extensions that
can help on this?

*YY Inc. is hiring openstack and python developers. Interested? Check
http://www.nsbeta.info/jobs <http://www.nsbeta.info/jobs>*

Yuanle