[Openstack] Preferred orchestration on Ubuntu 14.04

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Fri Apr 11 17:04:58 UTC 2014

This is a bit of a religious discussion...so with out judgement of
what anyone else is doing:

We just use puppet, though 12.04 and Havana, not sure the state of the
community modules for Icehouse. I do think the Havana to Icehouse
difference is likely much larger than the 12.04 to 14.04 difference.
We have used the puppetlabs modules to manage our OpenStack since
Essex and I have to say it's been pretty good despite tracking a fast
moving target.

Haven't found that Juju add sufficient value to put another tool in
the chain, for us any way.  We have significant non-OpenStack
infrastructure using puppet and important bits of that are FreeBSD so
we try and keep everything we can in the single cross platform tool.
In a more homogeneous infrastructure perhaps other tools like Juju or
Crowbar would be more useful.

-Jon