[Openstack] Openstack Swift load small files

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Wed Apr 2 15:19:39 UTC 2014

Yep, you're right. Doing a HEAD request before every PUT gets expensive, especially for small files.

But don't despair! There's some good news.

First, realize that swiftclient is written for a pretty general use case. If you have more knowledge about how your system works, then you can write something more efficient. python-swiftclient has a CLI, yes, but it also provides a python module so that you can write your own client as needed. For example, you can write your own script that doesn't do HEAD requests before a PUT.

Second, this specific issue is being addressed in patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/81646/ which adds If-None-Match support to PUT requests in Swift. This will allow a PUT without a HEAD and also avoid data transfer if the object already exists. I hope this patch lands today and is included in Icehouse.

--John