[Openstack] Neutron network node setup

Erich Weiler weiler at soe.ucsc.edu
Tue Apr 1 21:59:43 UTC 2014

Hey Y'all,

I'm setting up a dedicated neutron network node and I'm having a bit of
trouble understanding the way the networks work.  On the network node I
have one interface on the public net (eth0), one interface on the
private net (eth1) and I'm following these guides to set it up.

My plan is to have eth0 on the public network, no VLAN magic there or
anything.  eth1 will be the data interface, and it will be connected to
a trunk switchport so it can use VLANs for tenant isolation (OVS VLAN
plugin).

I ran this command to set up ext-net:

neutron net-create ext-net --router:external=True

Created a new network:
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Field                     | Value                                |
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| admin_state_up            | True                                 |
| id                        | a5599b54-dbfc-42fa-b5b9-e8ebd574ded0 |
| name                      | ext-net                              |
| provider:network_type     | vlan                                 |
| provider:physical_network | physnet1                             |
| provider:segmentation_id  | 200                                  |
| router:external           | True                                 |
| shared                    | False                                |
| status                    | ACTIVE                               |
| subnets                   |                                      |
| tenant_id                 | 36687b1d611740bd9e7309432b22dbcd     |

But, I don't think network_type=vlan right?  As eth0 just sits right on
a public network?  Should network_type=local instead?  Also, should
physical_network equal null, and also segmentation_id equal null as well?

I would understand type=vlan and seg_id and such for a tenant network,
but for ext-net?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated...!

-erich