[Openstack] No internet connection to the VMs

Giulio Vito de Musso giulio.vito.demusso at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 21:31:03 UTC 2013

Hi to all,

I'm facing a problem with Devstack+Neutron+LBaaS.
I installed Devstack+Neutron+LBaaS  onto a Ubuntu 12.04 VM adding the
following lines to Devstack's localrc and then running stack.sh

> disable_service n-net
> enable_service q-svc
> enable_service q-agt
> enable_service q-dhcp
> enable_service q-l3
> enable_service q-meta
> enable_service neutron
> enable_service tempest
> enable_service q-lbaas

At the end of the installation I create a network with a "mySubnet" subnet
(with a 192.168.0.0/24 IP range and the DNS IPs set properly), a
"myKeypair" keypair, a "myRouter" router and link the router to the
"public" (as external gateway) and "mySubnet" networks.
Then I launch a Ubuntu Cloud 12.04 VM in Horizon associating the mySubnet
network, the myKeypair keypair and a brand new floating IP.

I can ping and SSH the VM from the Devstack machine and the VM can ping the
Devstack machine, the br-ex and the myRouter; the problem is that the VM
cannot access the Internet.
In particular, it seems that the VM cannot ping the DNS server (infact it
cannot resolve any Internet hostname) even though the br-ex bridge is up
running.

What can be the problem? I'm stuck at this point for three weeks and cannot
go forward in my LBaaS analysis.

Thanks
Giulio