[Openstack] Flavor files and disk and ephemeral sizes

Steven Gessner gessners at us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 27 22:11:43 UTC 2013

Hi, I hope someone can clarify the questions I have.

When I look at the documentation on flavor files:
http://docs.openstack.org/grizzly/openstack-compute/admin/content/instance-building-blocks.html#instance-building-blocks-flavors
, I see the virtual root disk size shown for the m1.small to m1.xlarge
flavors remaining constant at 10gig and the ephemeral disk ranging from 20
to 160gig.  When I look at an OpenStack environment built by a friend, I
see the ephemeral size always at 0gig and the virtual root disk size
containing the values 20 to 160gig.

I know an admin can modify the values but my friend says he didn't.  In
addition, I would have expected the virtual root disk to remain constant
for the flavors in order to allow me to easily choose different size
virtual machines to hold a Linux image.  Is the documentation showing the
flavors wrong or has my friend someone incorrectly and unknowingly swapped
the values in the flavor for virtual root disk size and ephemeral size?

Thank you for your time,
Steve Gessner