[Openstack] Docker on Grizzly

Daniel Ellison daniel at syrinx.net
Fri Sep 27 00:12:00 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-26, at 6:35 PM, Douglas Mendizabal <douglas.mendizabal at RACKSPACE.COM> wrote:
> I was working on that same idea, getting OpenStack running in Docker
> containers, for a hackathon a few weeks ago.  It was a one day event, so
> we only got as far as you did, except we're using postgres as the backend
> for Keystone.  We put up our work on GitHub if you're interested in
> collaborating, let me know.

Today I got RabbitMQ working in a container and got a good way into Glance as well. I'm breaking up the standard OpenStack "control node" into its component parts and running each in a Docker container. This way the control node can be spread across several physical machines if need be. It also allows isolation of technologies such as Erlang (RabbitMQ's language), avoiding "pollution" of a common environment.

I'm using Pipework (https://github.com/jpetazzo/pipework) to set up a private network between the components once they're running. Once I have all of the pieces in place I'm going to use Maestro (https://github.com/toscanini/maestro) to orchestrate the startup of all containers, making sure the database and message queue are available before any of the OpenStack components need them.

Looking at what you've put together, we're taking fairly different paths in our implementations. The work I'm doing is being paid for by my company so I can't simply post the work on a public site without permission. I will, however, ask about releasing everything into the public domain once it's working.

+Daniel