[Openstack] Defining VM's CPU Socket:Core Topology

Evan Fraser evan.fraser at trademe.co.nz
Tue Sep 24 23:49:12 UTC 2013

Hello,
I am trying to figure out how to define a VM's CPU Socket:Core:Threads topology.  For licensing reasons we can't create VM's that map each core as a separate socket.

KVM and libvirt both support the ability to define the socket:core ratio/topology, but I can't see how to get openstack to request those capabilities.

I've tried the libvirt_cpu_mode and libvirt_cpu_model options, but they only seem to control the cpu's name, and what flags are passed through.

It seems that if I could only get nova to create the xml file with a topology section eg: <toplogy sockets='1' cores='4' threads='1'/> then it would work.

This feature request seems related: https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1199019

But I'm not sure if it's possible to define it within nova as yet anyway.

Cheers, Evan.
Evan Fraser

Trade Me | Storage Engineer

+64 4 803 2756