[Openstack] OpenStack Grizzly Quantum Networking

Clint Dilks clintd at waikato.ac.nz
Mon Sep 23 23:00:01 UTC 2013

Hi

I am currently trying to get Grizzly up and running on CentOS 6.4.
I have followed
http://docs.openstack.org/grizzly/basic-install/yum/content/as closely
as I can and from both a dashboard and OpenStack command line
viewpoint all OpenStack services are up and running and it appears that
VM's can be lauched and stopped without any obvious errors being recorded
but I can't interact with them using things like ping or ssh.

Below is information I think may be useful to fix the issue.  Thanks for
any insight you care to share.

Currently I have a single machine running all services

Management Network 10.10.11.2/24 em2
Bridge linked to em1  130.217.79.2/24

We want people to be able to create VM's that they can access via
130.217.79.0/24 addresses.

So as an initial test I follow the example listed in the guide above and
created a demo-net'
http://docs.openstack.org/grizzly/basic-install/yum/content/basic-install_network.html

Key details below

TENANT_NAME="demo"
TENANT_NETWORK_NAME="demo-net"
TENANT_SUBNET_NAME="${TENANT_NETWORK_NAME}-subnet"
TENANT_ROUTER_NAME="demo-router"
FIXED_RANGE="10.5.5.0/24"
NETWORK_GATEWAY="10.5.5.1"

Then I ran

quantum net-create public --router:external=True

quantum subnet-create --ip_version 4 --gateway 130.217.79.1 public
130.217.79.0/24 \
--allocation-pool start=130.217.79.200,end=130.217.79.250
--disable-dhcp --name public-subnet

quantum router-gateway-set demo-router public

Using this config instances will launch and if I assign a machine to the
public network, the network topology appears to be what we want.  But in
the guides section about lauching your first vm  (
http://docs.openstack.org/grizzly/basic-install/yum/content/basic-install_operate.html)
 it states that ip netns should show two pieces of information qrouter
and qdhcp.  I am only seeing qrouter.

Should what I have set up work ?  Or have I missed something fundamental ?

As it was the default quantum should be configured to use gre + tunnels,  I
am using  2.6.32-358.118.1.openstack.el6.x86_64 to add the functionality
that is missing from the default CentOS kernel.

/etc/quantum/plugins/openvswitch/ovs_quantum_plugin.ini contains the
following, would it be simpler to get what we need using a VLAN
configuration ?

[DATABASE]
sql_connection = mysql://quantum:openstack-csl@10.10.11.2/quantum
reconnect_interval = 2

[OVS]
tenant_network_type = gre
enable_tunneling = True
tunnel_id_ranges = 1:1000
local_ip = 10.10.11.2

[AGENT]
polling_interval = 2

[SECURITYGROUP]
firewall_driver =
quantum.agent.linux.iptables_firewall.OVSHybridIptablesFirewallDriver