[Openstack] [TROVE] - Backup Design

Michael Basnight mbasnight at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 17:55:50 UTC 2013

On Sep 20, 2013, at 10:25 AM, Caitlin Bestler wrote:

> On 9/20/2013 8:37 AM, Michael Basnight wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 18, 2013, at 8:30 AM, Giuseppe Galeota wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>> can you give me more informations about the status of the Backup Design project?
>>> Is it an active project or only a proof-of-concept?
>>
>> Its been implemented in the trove codebase. Id think its closer to active than proof of concept. If you search the git log for backup you will see that a good ammt of commits have gone into making the backup plugins code pretty solid. But i havent seen a company deploy it yet, since its a pretty new feature. So i imagine there might be tweaks here or there during the Icehouse release.
>>

> In my opinion, to be truly effective snapshotting of VMs needs to be co-ordinated with with snapshotting of volumes. I think that state-management's taskflows would be the correct solution.

We fully agree that state management's taskflow will be in trove. Ive had many chats virtually and in person w/ josh harlow on the subject. I think there is a place for volume snapshotting in trove, but there is no guarantee that a installation will be using volumes, and there are likely some code paths we can improve on in order to make this optionally happen. But its a fair point nonetheless.