[Openstack] Quantum-common install fails

McFaul, Isaac isaacm at bitheads.com
Thu Sep 19 16:31:13 UTC 2013

Hi,

We're running a multi-node Openstack environment (Grizzly) on Ubuntu 12.04.  Recently, when adding a compute node to the cluster, the following error occurs when installing quantum-common:

Setting up quantum-common (2012.1-0ubuntu4) ...
Adding system user `quantum' (UID 110) ...
Adding new user `quantum' (UID 110) with group `quantum' ...
Not creating home directory `/var/lib/quantum'.
chown: cannot access `/etc/quantum/': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing quantum-common (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of quantum-plugin-openvswitch-agent:
quantum-plugin-openvswitch-agent depends on quantum-common; however:
  Package quantum-common is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing quantum-plugin-openvswitch-agent (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
quantum-common
quantum-plugin-openvswitch-agent

The quantum-plugin-openvswitch-agent also fails because of its dependency on quantum-common.

We've tried creating /etc/quantum manually and installing the package, however the directory remains empty.

This bug was reportedly fixed in version 2012.1-0ubuntu3 in April of 2012.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/quantum/+bug/979159

Our cluster was initially set up using the guide here:
https://github.com/mseknibilel/OpenStack-Grizzly-Install-Guide/blob/OVS_MultiNode/OpenStack_Grizzly_Install_Guide.rst

We've been following these instructions to add compute nodes in the past without issue.

Has anyone else been experiencing this, or have any insight into what's happening?

Thanks,

Isaac McFaul
Network Administrator
bitHeads, inc.