[Openstack] Making the Hong Kong Summit as inclusive as possible

Lauren Sell lauren at openstack.org
Wed Sep 18 00:07:48 UTC 2013

Hi George,

We have a code of conduct for our community that covers events like our Summit (http://www.openstack.org/legal/community-code-of-conduct/). What I would like to do is:

- Publicize the code of conduct on the Summit website, registration page and email communications prior to the event
- Clearly define and publish steps to report an incident, as well as response procedures by the Foundation

To that end, we've spent time reviewing the Ada Initiative anti-harassment response procedures (http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Conference_anti-harassment/Responding_to_reports). We've actually contacted them to get their help drafting response procedure and possibly to schedule some training for our Foundation and events staff.

In addition to the code of conduct and response procedures, I would definitely be interested in hearing more ideas about how to make the Summit inclusive.  For example, Anne Gentle and Claire Massey helped organize the first Women of OpenStack breakfast in Portland (that was a great success!), and the Foundation sponsored travel to the Summit for three GNOME Outreach Program for Women interns. We are again sponsoring an event for Women in OpenStack and a broader travel support program in Hong Kong.

Thanks,
Lauren