[Openstack] Regarding replicator behavior with single replica

Vengurlekar, Tushar V (USD-SWD) tushar.vengurlekar at hp.com
Wed Sep 11 12:01:43 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I was trying a Swift setup having single replica configured with 4 devices added to the ring with different IP addresses.
Later (after all replication/rebalance completed) I uploaded many objects in a multiple containers.
I observe the data movement across these devices through rsync replicator daemon.

I understand that the object rebalance (using rsync) should happen only when we add devices or change weight value in ring (and if multiple replicas configured).
So what is a reason that it performs data movement (of newly uploaded objects) without any ring changes and single replica?

Thanks in advance,
Tushar