[Openstack] [openstack-dev] [TROVE] database instance creation

Brian Aker brian at tangent.org
Tue Sep 10 13:01:08 UTC 2013

Hi!

On Sep 9, 2013, at 9:46 AM, Michael Basnight <mbasnight at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2013, at 8:38 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>
>> Perhaps: "Trove is designed to support a multi-user database for a single
>> OpenStack tenant within a Nova instance."
>
> +1. Very succinct, and it does remove ambiguity. Giuseppe, feel free to update the wiki to reflect this, and help remove ambiguity in other areas. Thank you Clint and Giuseppe.

Let me be a little nit-picky.

Trove when mapped to other RDBMS then MySQL may actually create multiple "DATABASES".

MySQL maps "CREATE DATABASE" to "CREATE SCHEMA" and Trove has inherited this inconsistency. A number of other RDBMS have both of these implemented and I would expect that they will call "CREATE DATABASE" instead.

It would be more accurate to say that Trove supports the creation of "DBMS" systems (though frankly some of the NO-SQL solutions don't fit that definition due to their lack of data integrity).

Additionally I would drop the "multi-user" part since some of the proposed implementations lack "users" as well.

Trove is a service that handles the maintenance, provisioning, etc… of DBMS systems.

Cheers,
	-Brian