[Openstack] Question About Multinode and Swift

Gangur, Hrushikesh (HP Converged Cloud - R&D - Sunnyvale) hrushikesh.gangur at hp.com
Thu Sep 5 16:19:29 UTC 2013

Yes, it could be a SAN - A block storage attached to compute node. But, it has its pros and cons.

From: Mahardhika [mailto:mahardika.gilang at andalabs.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 11:46 PM
To: Gangur, Hrushikesh (HP Converged Cloud - R&D - Sunnyvale)
Cc: Openstack Milis
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Question About Multinode and Swift

Yeah i thought of that way, could it be SAN that attach to /var/lib/nova/instance?
so in this way swift is just for database / object thing .
thanks so much.
On 9/5/2013 1:36 PM, Gangur, Hrushikesh (HP Converged Cloud - R&D - Sunnyvale) wrote:
Yes, the compute node's sizing must be done in terms of CPU, Memory and Disk based on the flavor being selected. If you want to host 50 vms that have flavor specs 1 vcpu, 2 gb RAM, 10 gb root disk each, you need a compute node with 500 GB instance repository, 72 GB Memory, 16 core CPU.

Instead of local repository, you may like to mount /var/lib/nova/instances as an NFS. This way it would be compute node independent and you easily migrate VM instances across compute nodes (in case of failure).

Regards~hrushi