[Openstack] Grizzy - Planning Help

Clint Dilks clintd at waikato.ac.nz
Thu Sep 5 03:10:32 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have been asked to setup a Grizzly Instance for academic research.  This
project will evolve as it goes, so I don't have a clear set of
requirements, my initial plan is to try installing using Neutron configured
as "Single Flat Network"
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-network/admin/content/app_demo_flat.htmlusing
the Open vSwitch Plugin.

The equipment I have is 3 Nodes (2 Nic's per node ), with a switch for a
physically isolated node subnet and access to other switches for the rest
of our network. The nodes have Fast CPU's with a decent number of Cores and
more RAM than we should need

So currently I am picturing a setup like this

Network

subnet 1 - openstack management
subnet 2 - openstack data
subnet 3 - Public Network

Nodes

A  (Controller + Storage + Compute)
   Keystone
   Glance
   Horizon
   Neutron
   Compute
   Cinder
   Shared Storage/NFS
   Swift storage
   Swift Proxy
   (any other needed services)

B (Network + Compute)
   Neutron
   Compute
   Swift Storage

C (Network + Compute)
   Neutron
   Compute
   Swift Storage

So my questions

1. Does anything seem fundamentally broken with this approach?

2.  Is there anything else that I haven't mentioned that I should be
thinking about before making a start?

3. Do people see any advantages for a use case like ours sticking with
nova-network, or using an alternate plugin with Quantum such as Linux
Bridge Plugin?

4. Is it possible / practical to merge the management and data networks?

5. Currently the isolated switch is 1G, is this likely to be a significant
bottleneck to getting a small number of VM's running?

Thanks for your time, and any insight you are willing to share.

Clint