[Openstack] Confused about GroupAntiAffinityFilter and GroupAffinityFilter

Simon Pasquier simon.pasquier at bull.net
Mon Sep 2 09:19:58 UTC 2013

Hello,

I tried to play with GroupAntiAffinityFilter and GroupAffinityFilter
filters but it looks like the documentation is misleading [1]. Looking
more precisely at the commits that introduced these filters [2][3], my
assumption is that to use these filters, one would boot a first instance
with '--hint group=foo' and the scheduler would update the
instance_system_metadata table with {key:'group',value:'foo}. Then when
starting other instances with the same hint option, the scheduler would
filter the candidate hosts by querying the instance_system_metadata table.

Still this doesn't work for me. In my tests with
GroupAntiAffinityFilter, I have 3 compute nodes, each running one
instance not in any group. Then when I launch a VM specifying a group
hint, the scheduler fails to find a valid host because
GroupAntiAffinityFilter filter returns 0 host.

Could someone provide some guidance on how to use this filter?

Regards,

[1]
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/scheduler-filters.html#groupaffinityfilter
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/21070/